India has become the 5th largest economy in the world, but ~360 million are “poor” (using Government metrics) and 145 million live below the poverty line. This inequity is unacceptable. About 3.4% of our annual budget or 0.28% of the income of the top 1% of our population would lift and could bring everybody above the poverty line, however this is complex and we need the best of human intellects to be focussed on solving it.
The/Nudge Foundation exists to alleviate poverty. We are a collective of some of India’s best leaders and entrepreneurs from across industry, academia, government, and the development sector, passionately working on ways to address poverty sustainably and at scale.
In the five years since our inception, we have worked on a range of initiatives including developing innovative programs that enable underprivileged youth to lead flourishing lives, adapting evidence-based approaches to enable rural families to come out of extreme poverty, and incubating 60+ nonprofits focused on solving India’s biggest challenges. We have also used the knowledge and networks developed through our work to impact policy, address ecosystem barriers and launch scale programs.
We are now building on our capabilities and work to embark on an ambitious effort to nurture six to eight “social transformations” (i.e., using effective solutions to create pathways to scale that address the underlying problem; examples of such transformations include microfinance and the white revolution). These transformations (or “programs” as we call them) will be anchored in “centers” which will provide domain expertise, connection to the broader ecosystem and thought partnership. The centers will also be thought leaders in their space and influence the broader ecosystem (including policy and practice). There will also be horizontal teams, e.g., Impact & Evaluation, Technology, and Data & Insights, that all the programs and centers will use. These teams will also be seen as exemplars in their space and will influence the broader ecosystem.
The Spirit of The/Nudge
Honesty towards our purpose | Empathy towards others | Continuous innovation | Focused on scale | Impatience towards our goals
- Build a prestigious fellowship program to support civil servants with lateral leadership talent
- Own overall vision, product strategy and execution
- Drive large scale impact through closely managed collaborations, build program reputation
- Build mission-aligned and high-performance team
- Be the face of the organisation, representing us across the ecosystem, including govt, industry, nonprofit ecosystem, academia and funding partners in India and globally
You need to come with...
- Strong social sector intent, and readiness to serve
- 18+ yrs of overall experience
- A career of high achievement in any sector
- Strong leadership experience of managing high-performance teams, preferably intrapreneurial or entrepreneurial experience, of 5+ years
Would be great to come with...
- Background in public policy, advisory or consulting
- Prior similar experience of building an impactful program
- Entrepreneurial, consulting, or product management experience is an advantage