Platform Engineers are responsible for designing, building and managing systems supporting one or more big data technologies. These technologies enable organizations to deploy modern, distributed computing solutions. Engineers will determine the required infrastructure, services, and software required to build these solutions using on premise or cloud-based infrastructure. They would perform the following types of activities:
- Transform business or technical requirements into infrastructure specifications.
- Develop infrastructure prototypes and proof of concepts for specified use case(s).
- Define build and configuration standards to provision infrastructure services.
- Develop procedures to automate various systems and tasks (e.g. automating code builds and deployments)
- Implement and configure security services to properly harden infrastructure.
- Execute performance benchmarks and optimize system components.
- Implement operational tools and processes to monitor and maintain platforms as target service levels (alerting, backups, replication, etc).
- Integration systems with third party applications to enable visualization, integration or analytics by end users.
- Perform administration of infrastructure, software services, users, etc.
- Manage upgrades, patches or configuration changes or platform components.
- Documents build standards, configurations, and operating procedures.
- Explore up-and-coming technologies and software products and provide guidance to how they could be leveraged.
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or Engineering
- Certifications desired
- 7+ years engineering experience with (commercial or open source) software platforms and large-scale data infrastructure including are metal and virtual servers, storage and networking.
- 3+ years engineering experience deploying and managing cloud-based infrastructure or services.
- 3+ years big data engineering and management experience using tools and services, such as, Ambari, Navigator, Knox, Ranger, HDFS, Oozie, Kerberos, etc.
- 3+ years Linux shell scripting
- 2+ years using technologies like Docker, Puppet, Salt, Ansible, and Chef
- Hands on experience with HBase, Cassandra, Mongo DB
- Hands on experience with administration of on premise or cloud-based big data technologies
- Hands on experience with capacity planning and infrastructure optimization
- Hands on experience with deploying and administration of operational tools, such as, monitoring, backup, replication, and configuration management.
- Proficient understanding of security engineering principles
- Familiar with ITIL or operational management frameworks